Skip to main content

Information & Services Provided by the Student Affairs Office

The Student Affairs staff members are here to help you succeed during your time here at college.  There are several things our office can help you with including directing you to various on campus services, helping you with emergency situations that may arise either at home or on campus, and even completing certain forms and documents.

Click on the topics below to find out more about each of the services our office can help you with.

Dean Certification - Disciplinary Background Check

  • What is a Dean’s Certification?
    Many graduate schools as well as professional organizations require a Dean’s Certification to check your disciplinary records as well as your academic disciplinary history as part of your application process.  The Certification may come as a physical form that our office will fill out, a simple phone call to the school, or a written letter explaining your disciplinary history.  It is your responsibility to find out how exactly the organization or school would like to receive this information.
  • I need a Dean’s Certification - how to I get one?
    To make every effort to process your forms quickly, be sure to carefully follow the steps below and please plan ahead.  Your request will be processed within 10 business days of the date your materials and request are received.

    Form: If the institution or organization has a form, you will first need to obtain that form and/or any specific instructions from the institution to which you are applying.  Be sure to complete any sections or signatures that you as the requestor are responsible for. 

Letter: If the institution or organization needs a written letter please provide the instructions and specific information that they want included in the letter to our office along with the other items listed below.  It is also recommended that you provide our office with a current Resume so that the Dean can tailor the letter to you specifically.

Either bring the requested materials into the ERC Student Affairs Office or you can send all the information and materials to us.   Be sure to include a cover letter which contains all the following information:

    • Your First and Last Name
    • Your UCSD Student PID
    • Approximate dates of attendance at UCSD
    • A daytime phone number or email address where you can be reached
    • Name and address of Institution for which the form is being completed
    • Instructions regarding how the institution would like to receive the form when completed.

Some institutions require that the Dean’s Certification be sent directly to them from our office.  Other institutions prefer that this form be sent back to you so that you can mail it with your remaining application materials. It is your responsibility to find out how the completed document needs to be sent and to clearly provide that information to our office.

  • Submitting Multiple Requests
    If you are submitting forms for multiple schools, please simply provide your contact information once.  Then for each of the schools please clearly list the names and addresses of the institutions as well as the specific information and instructions for each school’s preferences.
  • Sending Completed Forms/Letters to the requesting School/Office/etc.If the school or office needs the Dean Certification/Disciplinary Background form/letter to sent directly to their office please verify the manner in which it needs to be sent.

Faxing/Emailing - if the completed document can be faxed or scanned and attached in an email please be sure to provide us with the correct fax number or email address

Mailing - if the completed document needs to be mailed you must provide our office with a pre-addressed and pre-stamped envelope.  We will place our return address on the envelope, place the completed form in the envelope and mail it directly from our office.  If you are no longer in the San Diego area, simply mail us the envelope you would like us to use (ensuring that it is pre-addressed and that there is enough postage for it to arrive at it's final destination).  Be sure to include your First and Last Name and Student PID number If you are still in the San Diego area, feel free to drop off the envelope to our office.

  • Sending Items to our Office:


    ATTN: ERC Student Affairs Office
    9500 Gilman Drive #0546
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0546
       *If the form needs to be mailed to its final destination then you must also provide our office with a pre-addressed and pre-stamped envelope as well.  We will put the return address on the envelope and sign and seal the back after we complete the form.


    858-534-4791 - Be sure to include a cover sheet when faxing as this fax machine is used by multiple departments

    Emailing: - be sure that all documents are in Microsoft Word or .pdf format to be sure that we can open the attachments.  If the forms need your signature or information from you, be sure that the those sections are completed before scanning and emailing it to us.  Note - sometimes "online/electronic signatures" do not save.  It is always best to print the form, sign it and then scan the signed form and save as an attachment.

    Questions? Please contact the ERC Student Affairs Office at 858-534-2237 or email

Study Abroad Judicial Affairs Forms

Often times the Study Abroad Program you are applying to will ask you to complete a form that confirms your disciplinary background and academic standing.  That is a form you can bring to our office.

The Global Seminar Judicial Affairs Form is a very common form for us to complete.  Simply make sure that the top box on the first page is completed (your First and Last Name, Student PID, Signature, and Program Information) as well as your Name and PID number on the top of the second page.

It takes our office 3-5 business days to complete the form and we will then send it over to the programs abroad office directly.

Common Application “Transfer College Report” Forms

If you are trying to transfer to a different university and they use The Common Application our office can help you complete a certain portion.  Please be sure to carefully read the following information.  Our office can only complete the "Transfer College Report" for you.  We are not able to complete the form online. 

**Please note that not all the schools you are applying to need all the forms that are available on the Common Application Website (Midterm Report, Final Report, Transfer College Report, etc.).  It is your responsibility to find out which forms each school to which you are applying actually need.

If the school requires the "Transfer College Report Form" please follow the steps below:

  1. Download the .pdf copy of the form from the Common Application Website, print the form out and bring the hard copy into our office.  Do not fill anything out on the form - our office completes all the information.
  2. Please provide our office with your Contact Information on a separate sheet of paper.   PLEASE TYPE and print this out to ensure legibility.  Simply paper clip this information to your form when you bring it into the office.
      • Your First and Last Name
      • Your Student PID Number
      • Your Cell Phone Number
      • Your UCSD Email Address
  3. Let us know how the school(s) want to receive the form upon completion from our office.  Each school prefers to receive the form in different ways.  It is your responsibility to find out how the school wants the form sent.  Often times that information can be found directly on their application webpage. Once you know this information please provide our office with a list of the name of the school and the preferred method.  Please TYPE OUT the list - it should look something like:
      • UNIVERSITY NAME - Please Mail form (*envelope provided)
      • UNIVERSITY NAME - Please scan and email .pdf copy to ________@________
      • UNIVERSITY NAME - Fax form to ___ - ___ - ______

* Please note - if the school requires you to mail a hard copy of the form, you must provide our office with an envelope that has the address and postage already on it for each school requiring it to be mailed.  Please be sure to put enough postage on the envelope - failure to do so will cause significant delay in the process.  We will NOT provide you with envelopes or postage.

Commonly Asked Questions Regarding the Common Application Process:

  • The Common Application is asking for an Advisor's Contact Information - What information should I put?

You are welcome to put in the name of one of the ERC Academic Advisors along with the email address.  Please note that the advisors will NOT be able to complete anything for you online.  By filling in this information the Common Application Website will allow you to proceed to the next steps of the application process.

  • Some of my schools also need the Midterm Report and/or Final Report - How can I get those? 

The Midterm Report and Final Reports are forms you must complete on your own.  They are not forms our office can complete for you.  You can download those forms from the Common Application Website and follow the instructions printed on the form. 

  • My school wants all the forms and transcripts sent in one envelope - is that possible?

Yes.  If you would like all the items sent in one envelope please complete any other forms you need and get the transcript(s) from the Registrar’s Office, if needed, FIRST.  Be sure to make/have enough copies of each of the items you need and bring all the items to our office along with the pre-addressed and pre-stamped envelopes.  Be sure to have plenty of postage on each of the envelopes - the more documents you have in the envelope the more postage you will need.  After we complete the Transfer College Report Form we can place the completed form in the envelopes you provided and mail them.

  • Where can I get transcripts?

All Transcripts are handled from the Registrar's Office.  Please refer to the webpage titled "How to Request a Transcript"

  • How long will it take to have the form complete?

It takes our office 5-10 business days to complete the form itself once you have provided us with all the necessary information.  Please remember that if it's mailed from on campus it will usually take an extra 2-3 business days before the mail actually makes it off campus.  Be sure to plan ahead and allow for enough time for our office to complete the forms and for the time it will take to be mailed.  If you prefer to take the mail off campus to a nearby post office you are more than welcome to.  We can sign and seal the envelopes and inform you of when they are complete so you can come pick them up from our office and mail them yourself from an off campus location.

  • Where can I get postage and/or envelopes?

You should be able to purchase those items at either the UCSD Bookstore and/or the UCSD Postal Center located in Price Center East.

  • I've never mailed anything in the U.S. before - I need help.

All you need to do is be sure to purchase enough postage and place that along with the Recipient's Address on the front of the envelope.  Do not worry about the Return Address - we will complete the return address with a stamp we have in our office.  For more detailed information about addressing mail in the US, the following website has some good information: