Skip to main content

Academic Plans

Four Year and Transfer Plans

Interested in getting started on making your own personalized plan? Check out our Creating an Academic Plan Guide.

Eleanor Roosevelt College’s Provost and faculty are confident that courses and advising are available to ensure you can complete your degree requirements in 4 years with a little planning during your first year at UCSD. The "Four Year Plans" are designed to help you start planning now to graduate from UC San Diego in 4 years for any given major.

Major requirements vary, and individual patterns are subject to change.

Note: The four year plans are sample planning guides for ERC students. Changes may occur throughout your four years at UC San Diego. You may have entered with some requirements already completed. To stay on track :

  1. Review your Degree Audit on TritonLink regularly.
  2. Review course descriptions and prerequisites for the courses you wish to take in the online catalog.
  3. Check your major department's website for the most current information regarding major requirements and course offerings.
  4. Visit the UCSD Academic Plans site to view available plansPlease read the comments at the bottom of each plan carefully. 
  5. Complete the Degree Planner to personalize your academic plan, taking into account coursework already cleared by AP credits, and transfer coursework.
  6. Meet with your major advisor to reveiw major requirements for your plan.
  7. Meet with an ERC Academic Counselor to review college and university requirements for your plan. 

Advisors at ERC and the in the academic departments are there to help you keep track of changes in requirements, plan for prerequisites, and verify when courses you need are offered. Communicate with us on a regular basis to stay on track.

For more information and strategies for graduating on time, visit Timely Degree Completion.

Entered UCSD as a transfer student?
There are plans specifically designated for transfer students under the "Transfer Plans" tab. These will be a useful guide as they include upper division course requirements for the majors.  However, we know your plan may need to be altered depending on your transfer coursework. 

We recommend all students interested in developing a four- or two-year plan contact their major first and then ERC Academic Advising for a Long Term Planning Appointment. We will begin meeting with first-year students for Long-Term Planning Appointments beginning in the Winter Quarter.


Students must declare a major by the time they have reached 90 units.  View a complete list of undergraduate majors and degrees at UCSD on TritonLink.    


A minor is a set of courses within a well-defined subject. Academic departments and programs may offer minors and the requirements vary by department.  A minor is at least 28 units, including at least 20 upper-division units. Visit TritonLink  for a complete list of minors offered as well as instructions on how to declare a minor.

Review the Graduation Requirements page on our website regarding the Maximum Unit Limitation and Minors.

Double Majors

Double majoring is becoming increasingly popular on campus, but is it right for you?  Review the Double Major requirements, the Majors page on our website, and meet with an ERC Academic Counselor to determine if a double major is a viable option.

Also review the Graduation Requirements page on our website regarding the Maximum Unit Limitation and Double Majors.

Professional School Preparation

See the resources below for an overview of professional school prerequisites.  Visit UCSD's Career Services Center for more extensive information.

Review the Graduation Requirements page on our website regarding the Maximum Unit Limitation and Professional School Preparation.

Educational Opportunities

UC San Diego Undergraduate Seminars

Undergraduate seminar courses are designed to let students explore subjects outside their primary academic interests and broaden their exposure to other intellectual pursuits. 

In each course, a small group of students (no more than 25) meets with a senior research professor to gain an overview of his or her field and individual work.  This arrangement allows students to interact with professors in a way not possible in freshman and sophomore lecture courses, which usually have large enrollments.

The seminars carry one unit of credit each.  A maximum of 4.0 undergraduate seminar units are allowed toward graduation, and the seminars must be taken Pass/No Pass. 

Seminar titles, instructors, and meeting times and places are listed in the Schedule of Classes.  Each sponsoring department or college numbers its undergraduate seminars: for example, Econ 87, MAE 87, Warren 87, ERC 87. 

There are specific seminars open only to freshman numbered "87".  These can be found at: 

There are other seminars numbered "90" open to all students.  You may find these courses on Tritonlink by department or college.

Senior Seminar Program

Senior Seminars will provide upper division students with an opportunity to meet with faculty in a small class environment.  Senior Seminars will carry one unit credit, will be graded P/NP, meet for 8-10 hours during a quarter, and are limited to 20 students. These can be found at:

AIP: Academic Internship Program

The Academic Internship Program is a valuable form of professional training which provides students with the opportunity to test their career interests in an off campus setting and earn academic credit at the same time. You are eligible to apply through AIP if you are a junior or senior and have:

  • 90 units

  • At least 2 upper-division courses

  • 2.5 GPA (3.0 for law firms & medical labs)

Transfer students must have completed two quarters, full time, at UC prior to date of applications.

Over 1500 Internships are available in the summer and during the academic year.  For more information please contact the AIP offices at 858-534-4355, or see their website at

Study Abroad

There are a world of possibilities awaiting students who choose to study abroad.  UCSD provides several exciting opportunities and is committed to giving students an exceptional learning experience to earn credit toward graduation while they travel the world.  For more information, visit the ERC study abroad webpage at:

UCDC: University of California Campus in Washington, D.C.

UCDC offers an exciting opportunity for students to live, work and study in the nation’s capital.  It is available Fall, Winter, and Spring quarter.  To find out more about the UCDC program, call 858-534-3750, or see their website at

UCCS: University of California Center in Sacramento

UCCS offers opportunities to take coursework and gain internship experience in the California State Capital. To read more about the UCCS program, visit:   You can call the AIP office at 858-534-4355 to set up an appointment  to discuss UCCS.