Graduation Requirements and Regulations

In addition to Major and ERC General Education (GE) requirements, students must meet all the following requirements to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree.

Graduation 101: The Difference Between "Graduation" and "Commencement"

Units to Graduate

  • At least 180 quarter units with a cumulative and major grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
    • 60 units (15 four-unit courses) of which must be at the upper-division level. Lower-division courses are numbered 1 - 99, upper-division courses are numbered 100 - 199.
    • At least 35 of the last 45 units must be taken at UC San Diego to meet the Senior Residency requirement

Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)

You must demonstrate proficiency in English composition by the end of your first year at UC San Diego. Refer to the Analytical Writing Program website for information on test scores that clear this requirement. 

If you took but did not pass the Analytical Writing Placement Exam, and have not cleared the requirement in another way, you must take the course at UC San Diego (ELWR 1). Only students who failed the exam may enroll in the course. To pass the course you must earn a grade of C or higher and pass the exit exam at the end of the course. The course counts for workload credit for minimum progress and financial aid, but does not count toward graduation credit.

You will not be allowed to enroll in any other writing courses (like MMW) until you fulfill the requirement. You must clear the requirement by the end of your third quarter at UC San Diego.

If English is not your native language, the results of your Analytical Writing Placement exam may require you to take a course in English as a Second Language (ELWR 2A & ELWR 2B) at UC San Diego before enrolling in the course. Students in need of ESL course work may have up to three extra quarters of residence in which to satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement.

American History and Institutions (AHI)

A knowledge of American History and federal and state institutions is required of all degree candidates. If you graduated from a California high school your AHI requirement is considered complete. Students from other states may ask the UC San Diego Admissions Office to clear the requirement if they completed comparable course work in high school.

If neither of the above applies to you, please refer to the UC San Diego General Catalog under “Undergraduate Degree Requirements” for courses that can be taken to clear the AHI requirement.

International Students should consult with Academic Advising regarding this requirement.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)

A knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion is required of all candidates for a Bachelor's degree who begin their studies at UC San Diego in lower-division standing in Fall 2011 or thereafter, or in upper-division standing in Fall 2013 or thereafter.

  1. This requirement shall be satisfied by passing, with a grade no lower than C- or P, a one-quarter, four-unit course expressly approved by the Committee on Educational Policy for that purpose.
  2. This requirement may be satisfied by presenting proof of having passed a four-unit transfer course at a recognized institution of higher education, community colleges included, that has been articulated and deemed equivalent to one of the courses on the approved DEI list.

For a full list of approved DEI courses, click here.

Courses on this list were reviewed and approved by the Academic Senate. Other courses not on this list may not count towards the DEI requirement. Students cannot petition other courses not on ths list to count towards the DEI requirement. UCSD Departments may petition to have courses reviewed by the Academic Senate to be added to the DEI list, but petitions are not guaranteed and may take up to two quarters to review for a decision.

Minimum Progress

  • Completion of 36 units in an academic year towards degree objective requirements to maintain minimum progress and qualify for further registration.
  • Read the Academic Senate policy on minimum progress.

Maximum Unit Limitation

UCSD students are expected to graduate in approximately 4 years if entering as a Freshman, or 2 years if entering as a Transfer. This expectation is enforced by setting a maximum number of units a student may complete before prevention of enrollment occurs. The maximum unit limit is in reference to the Total Units Completed at the top of the Degree Audit (also listed on the Academic History as "Crdts Pssd").

  • Students pursuing a single major may complete no more than 200 units. This allows a student to complete twelve quarters, at 16 units per quarter, with an additional 8 units that can be taking during the Summer or if the student wants to enroll in more than the standard number of units in a given quarter.
  • Students pursuing a double major or a BS degree in Engineering may complete no more than 240 units. ERC reserves the right to require students to rescind their double major if not completed within this unit limitation.
  • Minors are considered optional and are not required for graduation. Approvals are based on the assumption that students will complete all degree requirements within the maximum unit limitation of 200 units for single majors or 240 units for dobule majors and Engineering BS degrees. ERC reserves the right to require students to rescind minors if not completed within this unit limitation.
  • Pre-career preparation requirements (such as medical school prerequisites) or requirements for a professional or certification program/exam are also considered optional and do not allow for addtional units towards the maximum unit limitation.

The following units are not counted towards the maximum unit limitation:

  • Units granted by Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or General Certification of Education Advanced Level (GCE Advanced Level or A-Level) examinations.
  • Study Abroad courses taken through UC Education Abroad Program (EAP), Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), or Semester at Sea (SAS).
    Note: Global Seminar (GS) courses do count towards the maximum unit limit.
  • Transfer Units
    • Freshman: All transfer units taken before matriculating to UC San Diego are not counted towards the maximum unit limitation.
    • Transfers: Of the transfer units taken before matriculating to UC San Diego, 60 are applied towards the maximum unit limitation. All other units are not counted towards the maximum unit limitation.

Students may submit a Maximum Unit Limitation Appeal to request an exception to exceed the maximum unit limit. The appeal must include a quarter by quarter plan with the minimum time to finish required courses for major, GE, and University requirements towards graduation. Students will not be allowed to exceed the maximum unit limit to:

  • Finish a minor
  • Declare an additional minor
  • Change to a different major if degree requirements in the current major have been majority completed or already completed
  • Declare an additional major if degree requirements in the current major and towards degree requirements have been majority completed or already completed and if significant coursework for the second major (meaning more than 50% of required courses, not including WIP) has not been completed.
  • Complete prerequisites for a graduate or professional school
  • Complete requirements for a professional or certification program/exam

Submission of an appeal does not guarantee approval. Approvals will be determined based on Academic Senate regulations. Max Unit appeals can take up to 2 - 3 weeks to process and holds will remain on records until appeals are processed and finalized.

Keep in mind if you plan on applying for Part-Time Status you will still need to meet the requirements to be approved for Part Time. You must apply by the end of Week 2 of the quarter you plan on going part-time. If you are receiving Financial Aid or if you are an International student, consult with those offices regarding part-time status.

Degree and Diploma Application (DDA) Process

The Degree and Diploma Application (DDA), is online and must be completed by all graduating seniors.  When you submit or file your DDA, you are notifying Eleanor Roosevelt College that you have enrolled for your final quarter at UC San Diego and that you intend to finish all your degree requirements at the end of that quarter. 

The DDA Application can be found at and must be filed for the quarter you plan to graduate. The DDA opens the first day of WebReg for that quarter and ends the last day of finals week for that quarter (e.g. to file a DDA for Spring quarter, you can file the DDA as early as the first day of WebReg for Spring Quarter up until the last Friday of Finals week in Spring Quarter).

 For further information, please watch the DDA How-To Guide below.



Degree and Diploma Application (DDA) How-To Guide

Timeline To Degree Conferral: Transcript, Degree, and Diploma Information