Skip to main content


Students must declare a major by the time they have reached 90 units.  View a complete list of undergraduate majors and degrees at UCSD on TritonLink

Major Resources

Double Major Resources

The academic senate regulations to apply for and complete a double major are:

  • With the approval of both departments or programs and of the College Provost, a student in good standing (2.0 cumulative UC GPA) may declare a double major.
  • A student with a double major must fulfill the separate requirements of each major, and the equivalent of at least ten upper-division courses (forty units) must be unique to each major. Courses taken in fulfillment of lower-division requirements may overlap to any degree.
  • The two majors may not be within the School of Engineering, nor, except with the approval of the Undergraduate Council, within a single department.
  • A student with a double major may graduate only upon completion of all requirements for both majors. Both majors will be noted on the student’s transcript and diploma. If the two majors lead to different degrees (BA and BS), that fact will be noted on the transcript, and the two degree designations will appear on one diploma.
  • A student who has declared a double major may graduate in one major upon completion of all requirements for that major.
  • A student with a double major who has reached the quarter limits of Regulation 600(C) and needs additional time to complete all requirements for both majors will be required to submit a completion plan and have it approved by their departments/programs and college prior to enrolling for additional quarters to continue work toward the degree.
  • Please note: For students enrolled at UC San Diego prior to fall 2019, a student who has declared a double major may accrue up to 240 units.
  •  ERC students may overlap no more than 3 upper-division courses between their double majors and their GE requirements. The DEI Requirementand Upper-Division Writing Requirement GEcan always overlap with any requirement and are not included in this limit.

Students must submit a Double Major Petition with an accurate quarter by quarter plan (including major, GE, any minors if applicable, and University requirements), reviewed and signed by both departments, and a statement of purpose to ERC Advising for consideration


For students pursuing a BS/MS or BA/MA program looking to do a double major, you must be able to complete the secondary major before or in the same quarter you complete the BS or BA requirements to move on to your MS or MA courses. Otherwise you will forfeit your double major and be allowed only to complete your BS/MS or BA/MA program.